Wednesday, August 6, 2008

And so it begins...

Well, here goes nothing...

Starting tomorrow, I'm going to begin training for my first 5k in about 10 years.


Lots has changed between then and now.

I graduated high school.

I graduated college.

I moved to two new states (Michigan and Wisconsin) and BACK to the homeland of Illinois.

I was on back-to-back National Championship basketball teams and won 3 conference titles.

I met the most wonderful woman in the world (MWWITW).

I informed the MWWITW that we were dating (one week later).

I married the MWWITW.

I became an uncle (x4, soon to be x5)

I'm soon to be a daddy (x2!).

I gained about 115 pounds.

Yikes.



Ya know, it's amazing how easy it is to gain weight when you replace college athletics with sitting on the couch.

I had all kinds of excuses...

My favorite was "I'm used to competing at such a high level, it's not worth it to do anything if I'm not competing at that high level."

... Yeah, ok.


So, now that the MWWITW is expecting twins, it's time for me to get back in shape. Goodness knows that I'm going to need to be in shape in a about 8 or 9 months when the kiddo's start crawling around!


To get in shape, I'm going to be realistic... I will need a goal. So, a goal I have found! I am going to begin getting in shape by training for a 5k at Morton Arboretum on October 5th. It gives me a goal... and the Aboretum will be so beautiful that time of year!

Technically, I'm not a beginner as a runner. I ran cross county (very poorly) in middle school, and I ran track in high school. I've even run a couple of 5k's and a 10k before, when I was in high school (my best time was just over 20 mins).

Actually, I just checked... my FIRST 5k was 10 years ago, when I was 17, and in the best shape of my life. I ran 20.41 (1999). It was relatively easy for me, because I was just coming off of a good track season. The next year, I decided to push myself... so I ran the 10k. Big mistake... I ran 50.16 and barely finished (2000). I was so exhausted because I hadn't trained for that type of distance. The next year was after my first year of college. I was in OK shape, but not great... and I ran 23.45 (2001). I would love to be able to try to match the latest one... but I'm starting from scratch. I'm treating this experience like I've never done anything like it before. I'm declaring myself as a beginner.

I'm going to start training tomorrow, 60 days before the race. So, here's my plan:


Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Sunday
1 X X X Walk 20 mins Walk 20 mins Run .5 miles
2 Walk 20 mins Run 10 mins Walk 20 mins Run 10 mins Walk 20 mins Run .5 miles
3 Walk 20 mins Run 10 mins Walk 20 mins Run 10 mins Walk 20 mins Run 1 mile
4 Walk 20 mins Run 10 mins Walk 20 mins Run 10 mins Walk 20 mins Run 1.5 miles
5 Walk 20 mins Run 10 mins Walk 20 mins Run 15 mins Walk 20 mins Run 2 miles
6 Walk 20 mins Run 15 mins Walk 20 mins Run 20 mins Walk 20 mins Run 2.5 miles
7 Walk 30 mins Run 20 mins Walk 30 mins Run 25 mins Walk 30 mins Run 3 miles
8 Walk 30 mins Run 25 mins Walk 30 mins Run 30 mins Walk 30 mins Run 3.5 miles
9 Walk 30 mins Run 30 mins Walk 30 mins Run 30 mins Walk 30 mins RACE

I formulated it from a combination of a 5 week plan for 5k's from Runners World and a beginner's guide for marathon training from Marathon Rookie.

The Marathon Rookie is a 26 week plan, with 4 days on, 3 days off. That's great for marathoners... and they certainly need the rest to let their bodies recoup. But I'm running 3.1 miles. Compared to what I'm doing now, that's much more... but, though I'm out of shape, getting back to some semblance of shape shouldn't take too long... so I'm going to stick to the 6 on 1 off plan. Half the on days are walking anyway, so it isn't like going out and running 15 miles!

I'd love to hear about other people getting ready for runs this fall and possibly some tips for a beginner!

No comments: